More than 125 AIESECers from 34 countries gathered in Porto, Portugal for the AIESEC Alumni International Congress on April 9-12, which was graciously hosted by AIESEC FEP in Porto and with critical support of Portuguese alumni. This event was an outstanding alumni showcase, full of education, networking, professional exchange, cultural events and plenty of AIESEC spirit. Participants were updated on the AAI Transformation Project, and witnessed the progress that has been made to achieve our vision of an active global network. For those attendees who experienced their first international alumni event in Porto, the words “leadership under AIESEC values delivered for life” took on a special meaning.
Highlights of this year’s event included:
- An in-depth demonstration was provided on AlumNet, AA’s new global online community portal, which is due to launch in the coming months. AA leaders discussed the rollout of the platform, and how to leverage it to grow alumni engagement and membership.
- Six talented alumni leaders were elected to serve on AAI’s Executive Board (see below). This outstanding new leadership team will greatly increase AAI’s ability to execute on core components of the AAI Transformation Project in the coming months.
- National Alumni Association (NAA) leaders participated in workshops designed to strengthen their programs and structures, and shared best practices from across the network.
- Workshops were held on visionary leadership, career management and other topics, which inspired alumni to consider how we can increase our impact on the world.
- The Window of Opportunities session gave participants the chance to find new business and professional connections, through structured networking and interaction.
- Plans took shape for a new Global Leadership Summit, which would bring together business, government and NGO leaders to shape actions to improve alumni impact on society.
- AIESEC Alumni Europe (AAE) was officially launched as a new Regional Alumni Association (RAA), and its first President was elected: Peter Mandl of Austria.
- Donors to the AAI Seed Fund were recognized at a special presentation, and individual awards were given to Megaworld Corporation, David Epstein and Victor Loewenstein for their outstanding contributions to AAI.
Conference participants were treated to wonderful venues and evening parties, including a Portuguese Night with fado singing and dance, and an elegant gala evening at a spectacular wine cave overlooking the city of Porto.
Many attendees continued on a study tour together throughout the north of Portugal, where they experienced the beauty of its regional towns, outstanding scenery, tasty food and wine, and plenty of friendship.
AAI wants to extend a special thanks to the Congress Committee led by Fabio Castro, who worked hard to create such an outstanding event. All of the attendees enjoyed the special Portuguese hospitality, and we look forward to bringing AIESEC Alumni Portugal into our alumni network. Muito obrigados!